Hi, we’re UVX—a Vancouver company recognized as Canada’s most impactful healthcare startup. We’re on a mission to accelerate global access to superior environmental and personal hygiene.
Our first product is a smart ceiling device that kills pathogens within seconds, on both air and surfaces, even when humans are present. We do this using a newly discovered “sweet spot” in the UV light spectrum, that unlike conventional UV light, is safe for humans but deadly for pathogens. For the first time ever, facilities can now disinfect continuously throughout the day without disrupting operations (as opposed to on a fixed cleaning schedule of say 8am, 3pm, and 9pm).
We’re closely affiliated with UBC’s Faculty of Medicine (Division of Infectious Diseases) and backed by some of Canada’s most prominent healthcare investors like HaloHealth and former AstraZeneca C-Suite.
UVX's work was recently spotlighted on CBC News among other notable media outlets as we embark on the world's largest clinical trial of its kind; in collaboration with Research Nova Scotia and Nova Scotia Health Authority. We're at an inflection point in our trajectory and looking for talented people like you to fuel our growth.
- You are hardworking, dedicated, and passionate about making a meaningful impact in the world.
- You thrive in fast-paced environments and are motivated by challenges.
- With a track record of going above and beyond, you strive to exceed expectations not only because others care, but because you do.
- You are not afraid to roll up your sleeves and do what it takes to meet deadlines.
- You’re courageous enough to challenge the status quo, but yet humble enough to accept when you’re wrong.
If this sounds like you, then we’d love to hear from you!
Our proprietary technology is software-enabled-hardware. One of our biggest differentiators is our embedded software; making your role as an embedded software engineer critical to our success. Our tech stack consists of C running on Espressif RISC-V hardware, communicating with AWS via MQTT.
You won't simply be a passive observer when it comes to steering our product towards its final vision. Instead, you'll be an active participant. More specifically, your role will include:
- Designing and developing IoT firmware.
- Providing insight and assistance to hardware engineers when designing and debugging hardware.
- Collaborating with the software team to integrate firmware with software applications.
- Writing robust, testable, and easy-to-maintain code.
- Writing and maintaining unit tests.
- Performing quality control by doing peer code reviews, ensuring coding standards are followed, and identifying logic errors and other bugs.
You meet these requirements
- A degree/formal training in software engineering, electrical engineering, or equivalent work experience.
- 2+ years of experience in embedded systems development (not including bootcamps and capstone projects).
- Strong programming skills in C.
- Experience using Git for source control.
- Legally eligible to work in Canada (valid work permit, Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person granted refugee status in Canada).
Bonus if you have these too
- Experience with strongly-typed programming languages such as C++, Rust, etc.
- Training in or experience with designing hardware.
- Experience developing with real-time operating systems.
- Knowledge of hardware communication buses and protocols such as I2C, SPI, UART, etc.
- Experience with IoT devices and Cloud Platforms.
- Entrepreneurial or leadership experience (side hustle, campus initiative or club, leading group projects, etc.).
- Healthcare or health-tech experience.
Our offer to you
- Significant contributions to an innovative technology that will positively impact the lives of billions around the world.
- A high-impact position, empowered to make decisions that lead us to success while building complex solutions.
- Influence over the outcomes of ongoing projects; a sense of ownership over your work.
- A tight-knit team that enjoys working together in a fun, informal, and flexible environment.
- Opportunity to be mentored by technical advisors who have led companies like Blackberry, HP, STMicroelectronics, and more.
- Growth opportunities within the organizations (as we grow quickly, so will you and your responsibilities).
- Stock options in a company that is nationally recognized as high impact and high potential.
Hesitant to apply?
Research has shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every qualification in the job posting. At UVX, we are committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment so we strongly encourage you to apply even if you don't believe you meet every single criteria.
This list represents what we're ideally looking for, but everyone has unique strengths and weaknesses. We hire for strength and potential, not lack of weakness.
If you’re interested, so are we! We look forward to hearing from you.